About Our James Island Dentist Office
Sweetgrass Dental’s office is conveniently located on Folly Rd. in the James Island section of Charleston. We are committed to providing the highest quality general and cosmetic dental care at pricing you can afford. Our skilled dental team, led by Dr. Michael Healey, utilizes the latest procedures and dental technology to give our patients and their families the highest level of dental care possible.
Whether you need routine preventative oral health care, cosmetic dental procedures to give you the smile you have always dreamed of, or emergency dental treatment, Sweetgrass Dental in James Island is here for all your oral health needs! We are proud to offer comprehensive general & cosmetic dentistry, including:
- Dental Bonding – Many patients opt for dental bonding when they want to fix a minor cosmetic issue with their smile but don’t want to spend a lot of money doing it. Dr. Healey uses resin material to cover a severely stained tooth, repair a chip or a crack, fill a gap between teeth that’s larger than normal, or improve the appearance of a misshapen tooth. The process is fast, pain-free, and easy on your budget.
- Tooth Extractions – It’s always our goal at Sweetgrass Dental to save a tooth whenever possible. This goes along with our belief of using the most conservative treatment approach first. When other treatment methods have failed, you may need the tooth extracted to ensure the health of your other teeth as well as your gums. Our staff provides you with pain relief prior to the procedure as well as instructs you on post-extraction home care so you feel back to normal as quickly as possible.
- Root Canal Therapy – You may need a root canal when you’re experiencing significant pain in a tooth due to infection. This can happen due to trauma to the mouth, gum disease, tooth decay, or other common reasons. During a root canal, Dr. Healey cleans the pulp of the tooth to remove infection or reduce inflammation. He then places a crown on the treated tooth to ensure that it doesn’t succumb to further infection or inflammation in the future.
- Repairing Cracked Fillings or Teeth – Sometimes it doesn’t take much to crack a tooth or break a filling. You’re eating a piece of hard food and feel a piece of metal on your tongue or feel your tooth breaking. Regardless of how your tooth broke or filling fell out, please come in for an evaluation as soon as possible. We will discuss the possible treatment options, which include dental bonding, a crown, veneer, or root canal therapy. The procedure depends on the degree of damage, your budget and preferences, and several other individual factors.
- Routine Dental and Periodontal (Gum) Care – Visiting Sweetgrass Dental every six months is essential for your long-term oral health. In addition to professional cleaning of your teeth from our skilled hygienists, Dr. Healey will inspect your teeth and gums for any issues that might need further treatment. He also uses these appointments to educate patients about gum disease, including whether they have current symptoms of this common condition and the best oral care practices to prevent it.
- Digital Imaging X-rays – A visual inspection of your mouth is helpful, but it doesn’t always tell the whole story. Using digital X-ray equipment at least once a year helps our staff see problems such as decay between teeth, oral tumors, or extra teeth coming in that might not be obvious otherwise. Digital X-rays do not produce the radiation of traditional X-rays and your dentist can see the results immediately as well.
- Dental Sealants – Due to their position in the mouth and unique grooves, the back molar teeth can be challenging to keep clean. This is especially true for children just learning how to care for their teeth independently. Placing a sealant over the back teeth helps to keep bacteria, plaque, and tartar from invading them and causing decay. We typically recommend this procedure starting around age six.
- Oral Cancer Screening – Your dentist is in a unique position to detect tumors from oral cancer while they’re still in the most treatable stage. You may not see the small scabs forming on the inside of your lips, cheeks, at the back of your throat or other places inside the mouth. It’s not somewhere that your regular doctor looks either. At Sweetgrass Dental, we include oral cancer screening with every preventive care exam.
- Dental Health Products – Using the right toothbrush, toothpaste, and dental floss for your unique oral healthcare needs is important. Our staff is happy to make personalized recommendations to maximize your oral health.
- Power Teeth Whitening – It’s common for teeth to take on a dull or yellow appearance as we get older. Certain lifestyle habits can also contribute to this problem, including smoking and drinking red wine. With power teeth whitening from Sweetgrass Dental, you can expect the shade of your teeth to appear several times whiter immediately after treatment. We offer both in-office and at-home options.
- Comprehensive Cosmetic Smile Enhancement – Have you ever wondered what you would look like with an improved smile? If so, we encourage you to schedule a consultation to learn more about a smile makeover. We can show you computer-generated images of what you might look like after receiving a veneer, teeth whitening, dental bonding, a crown, or one of several other cosmetic dentistry procedures.
- Ceramic Dental Crowns – A dental crown fits over the top of a tooth to repair damage such as cracks, chips, and severe decay. Dr. Healey also uses dental crowns after performing a root canal. He first grinds down part of the tooth and then places the crown over it. A combination of dental cement and light from a laser help to hold the new dental crown in place.
- Porcelain Veneers – This is the name for an extremely thin piece of ceramic that fits over the top of a tooth. It can disguise large gaps, chips, cracks, stains, and more. This is an ideal treatment for front teeth while dental crowns are ideal for the chewing surface of the back teeth.
Visit our comfortable James Island dentist office and see for yourself. Come meet our friendly dental team and experience a comfortable and welcoming dental practice that brings high-quality general and cosmetic dentistry within reach for your entire family. Call or visit us today at Sweetgrass Dental.
- Convenient early and late appointments available
- Walk-in’s welcome
- Most insurances accepted
- Low-interest financing available